MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARS PROGRAM AT UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO
DEADLINE: 10 NOVEMBER 2022
The 2023-2024 Mastercard Foundation graduate scholarship recruitment at the University of Toronto is now open. This scholarship opportunity is open to recent alumni and graduating students of our African Higher Education Health Collaborative partner universities. These graduate scholarships will be awarded to those individuals who have demonstrated academic excellence in the associated health related disciplines, and a personal commitment to going back and giving back to their home countries at the completion of their degree.
The African Higher Education Health Collaborative Partner Universities whose graduates are eligible for this scholarship are:
• Addis Ababa University
• African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
• African Leadership University
• Amref International University/Amref Health Africa
• Ashesi University
• Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
• Moi University
• University of Cape Town The Award
This fully comprehensive scholarship provides full financial assistance for tuition, travel expenses, housing, food, books, and other expenses for the duration of the professional program. In addition to financial support, scholars will be provided with a comprehensive support network to ensure academic success. Furthermore, each scholar will take part in a two-week summer orientation program which will ensure that they are fully engaged from the very beginning of their graduate studies, and which will ease their transition to life as a graduate student in the city of Toronto to their preparedness for return to Africa.
ELIGIBLE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Up to 26 Mastercard Foundation scholarships will be awarded for the 2022-2023 academic year split across the following graduate programs:
• Master of Health Informatics
• Master of Health Administration
• Master of Health Services Research
• Master of Public Health
• Master of Occupational and Environmental Health
• Master of Social and Behavioural Health Sciences
• Master of Financial Insurance
• Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
• Master of Biotechnology
Please keep in mind when considering your program of study that you meet all the program requirements. Also, it is your motivation for choosing your field, as well as your career goals and give back aspirations, that will help determine your eligibility for the scholarship.
The applicant MUST meet the following six eligibility criteria:
• Be a citizen and currently residing in a Sub-Saharan African country
• Be graduating or have graduated from a partner institution of the African Higher Education Health Collaborative and have not yet started studies at the graduate level
• Have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership qualities during his/her undergraduate years
• Be academically admissible to one of the sponsored graduate programs listed above
• Demonstrate a desire and commitment to return home following graduation to contribute to the ongoing economic growth and social development in Africa .
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Step One: prospective applicants must first consult the admission requirements for their chosen program of study. The links above will guide you in exploring these different programs. If you meet the academic requirements of these areas, please follow through to step two.
Step Two: sign up to attend a scholarship information session and complete the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship application. Deadline for submission of the completed application and receipt of all required attachments is: Thursday November 10th, 2022 If your application for the Mastercard Foundation scholarship meets all criteria and is approved by the Scholarship Admission Committee, you will receive an email to move forward to step three. Notifications to successful applicants will be made in early December.
Step Three: begin your graduate application to the department/program of your interest from the University of Toronto, School of Graduate Studies website. The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) is the central location for graduate applications at the university. Each department and program area will inform you as to the specific requirements of their department and provide you with subsequent dates for the submission of supplementary information. This is an online process that will require you to upload documents to your application. Please follow specifically the instructions of your prospective department once you receive them.
To register to attend an information session on Tuesday, 18 October, please use this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/university-of-torontos-mastercard-foundation-scholarshippresentation-tickets-432702995307.
Please direct any question you may have to the University of Toronto’s Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Office [Email: firstname.lastname@example.org]